Monday, August 8, 2011

Sleep Deprived Us

{via}
Last week, my husband told me he couldn't find the fresh pot of coffee he had just made until he later found he had put it in the cabinet with the dinner plates. 

Yesterday, I tried to open the front door of the house with a car beeper.

A week after my husband and I decided "Ok, let's do this! Let's make a baby" the most immense life-stopping fatigue took over my body as all the cells in body shifted to support new life. I knew I was pregnant; Was it foreshadowing of what was to come? 

We were chatting with a young mom (21 years old) at our breakfast diner over the weekend; she said "I used to look at moms with their short hair-cuts and wonder why they did that, and why they always looked like they had just been hit by a truck. Now I get it!". Well, I'm a good ten years older than this momma we were talking to, but right now I feel about 20 years older. 

I have some momma friends with babies sleeping through the night and napping from the get-go, but my active alert bundle is far too interested in this big world to find time for consistent sleep. At the reunion yesterday, a lot of us, moms and dads alike, admitted we didn't know just how hard it would be. We were all prepared to be whipped on our asses by love, but not this...

Several parents said they found some luck with the No Cry Sleep Solution, but at the end of the day, you know what, every night's gonna be a little different and sometimes developmentally your baby is going to need to wake up or eat in the middle of the night even though you did all the "tricks" that worked just the night before; We all agreed as well, this time isn't forever, it's flying by in fact and all we can do is stay in the moment.

An interesting short on new parent sleep on NPR today.



No comments:

Post a Comment