Thursday, May 15, 2014

May is Celiac Awareness Month


I don't even know where to get started on this topic.

An estimated 1 in 133 people (or about 1% of the population) suffer from celiac disease; My younger brother was one of those people.

Less than a year ago, he passed away from this disease--Part of the reason for the gap in posts here, has been my limited free-time devoted to healing, mourning, & moderating my own diet, as gluten-intolerance is primarily a hereditary condition.

There is so much to say about the historical, social, addictive, neurological aspects of this topic and I'm not going to get into it here. A wonderful (dire, in my opinion) place to start exploring is by reading Grain Brain by neurologist David Perlmutter, MD.

Another useful read comes via a gluten-free beauty company (yes, those who are sensitive must also avoid topical sources of gluten).

No comments:

Post a Comment