Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Boob-olution

 

On our first night back home from the hospital, I grab my engorged heavy girls, red-faced, ridiculously teary-eyed, a complete mess and sob to my husband "What the fuck is the point of having boobs like this if I can't even feed my baby?!" And on went the wailing. (Again, my poor poor hubby). Oh, the drama. I can almost laugh it now.

I had read so so much about pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting, but skipped up any major research on breast-feeding. "Just put the babe to the boob, right." Wrong. So very very wrong. There were latch issues, engorgement, his little hands getting in the way, blood blisters, mixed messages from hospital staff, and PAIN! 

If your birthing in a hospital, my advice is do not rely on the nurses or staff LC to be completely helpful. Do your own research. Have an LC or two on-call. Be hopeful and open to it all going completely easy, but also be open to the flip side of the coin. 

::This little video above pretty much sums it up; there is a "hump." I think I'm getting over it::

No comments:

Post a Comment