Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Blocked Milk Duct

Yesterday my folks headed off to North Beach for cannoli's and tiramisu, and I stayed home alternating hot-packs and cabbage leaves on my right breast. My parents are only in town for a short visit, so I was pretty bummed to be spending one of those days at home feeling pretty shitty.

What happened? My little bub slept his first 5 hour stretch, leaving an 8 hour time span without stimulation to my right breast. A sudden shift in a baby's sleeping pattern is a common cause of blocked milk ducts. Other things to be weary of are ill-fitting bras, a diet high in saturated fat, the use of a nipple shield, an ineffective latch.

The following videos and web links were really helpful and by early eve last night there was sweet relief. Some of the advice I put to use:

Nursing more frequently
Nursing on the affected side first
Nursing around "the nipple clock"/i.e. changing positions often
Warm showers and saline soaks before
Cold packs after nursing




one poor poor mama's tale of a blocked milk duct turning into mastitis, not something you want to have happen!
 


Web Resources for Blocked Ducts:
DR SEARS 
DOCTOR JACK NEWMAN
KELLY MOM
BABY CENTER 
BREASTFEEDING-PROBLEMS
LACTATION SERVICES

No comments:

Post a Comment